RALLS COUNTY, Mo. (WGEM), BY Jennifer Tapley
Firefighters responded to a house fire Tuesday, just south of Hannibal.
The home is located off Route HH, near Highway 61.
Hannibal Rural firefighters say a family was home when a clothes dryer caught fire. They say lint build-up in a vent likely caused the fire.
Fire officials say a 14 year-old Noah Evans, who lives at the home found the fire and slammed the laundry room door shut. They say that action likely prevented the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.
"Dryer started making a whole bunch of rattling noises so I open the door and it was smoking and the bottom of it was glowing orange," Evans said. "Then the fire alarm went off so I went and shut that off. The fire department called and I told them to send people out here."
Firefighters say that action likely prevented the fire spreading to the rest of the house. Everyone got out okay but the home did have smoke damage.